Make a Flexible Soundproof Panel At A Cheap Price Using Rockwool.
One of most inquiries we received from house owners is they facing problems with noises outside of window. Sometimes it can be construction projects nearby, traffic noises or many other sources of noise that are beyond your control. But one thing is for sure, you can control the inside of your home. One of the best ways to deal with outside noises is to soundproof your windows. There are many ways to do it, but today we’ll show you the cheapest DIY way.
Materials and Tools
- Wood sticks
- Rockwool stone wool refill materials
- Waterproof canvas/Fabric
- L brackets
- Handle stick
- Steel band roll
- Glue/Stapler/Adhesive spray
- Prepare Wood Sticks
Gather 4, 8, or 12 beams. The number will depend on how big you want the panel. Usually, hardware shops and other home improvement shops like WoodMalaysia are selling pc by pc, standard lengths range from 5 feet to 12 feet, in many different sizes. So choose the right size for your panel. But for this DIY flexible panel, we recommend you to use 1×2, 1×3 or 1×4 wood beam.
- Putting The Frames Together
You’ll need a drill and screws to put the frames together using L brackets. The procedure is kind of self-explanatory. Insert a bracket in each corner and screw it to secure the brackets. Then, assemble it into the frame.
- Adding Steel Band Roll
Add steel band roll on the back of the frame. You can have plywood to install as 2nd option but steel band roll is good enough to secure the weight if you install 1 layer of acoustic refill material only. Steel band roll is cheaper, easier to cut and bend. You can buy it from any hardware shop or Shopee, super convenient.
- Install With Flexible L-brackets
Install a set of flexible L-brackets on the top of the frame. Screw on each side of the frame, aligned with the middle of the support frame to further stabilise whole panel.
This is not only that for holding the handle stick later, but it will also make the procedures easier in case of the need to take down the acoustic panel in the future.
- Finalise The Frame
Now, the frame is done.
- Insulation Installation
Let’s start sound blocking step. As insulation, we recommend you use Rockwool stone wool refill materials. This is because it comes with ready-to-make size, 4ft x 2ft, fire retardant, durable and cost-effective. If you are not expecting very high-absorbing, Rockwool stonewool insulation is already good enough to block noises in some degree. Fill it into panel and trim it down to size (If your panel happen to be smaller size). To keep your insulation from sagging later, pull the stone wool tight as you glue it.
- Adding a Wrap to the Acoustic Panels
The absorption coefficient of your panels will be affected by the fabric you choose. The most crucial thing is that sound may flow through the cloth and be absorbed by the insulation.
If you want to be more creative, you may use interesting fabric designs. Lighter colours, in general, will make your studio feel more spacious. For this guide, our customer used waterproof canvas due to this panel was installed on the parking porch. So choose the fabric that will be the best for you.
Place the cloth on a firm, clean surface. Place your panel in the middle of the fabric piece and wrap it. After that, hang the panel on the window to block the noise.
As picture shown, you need to make sure the panel closes tighter to window to try to block outside noises coming through the window as much as you can. Although this is not a 100% effective soundproof window noises, but it can help. As we all know, the most expensive way to soundproof your windows is to replace your existing panes with double or triple glazed windows. Of course, you can go for soundproof window if you don’t have any budget control.
All in all, this is not a bad DIY idea if you want a cheap and fast way to solve noises problem from window.
If you’re not sure about the best solution for soundproofing windows in your building, get in touch with us at LovelyTeik for FREE advice.
At LovelyTeik, we specialise in offering a wide range of acoustic materials, and other bespoke noise reduction solutions.
You May Interest In Products
Want To View All Products?
Sound Absorbing/Soundproof/Sound Blocking
- Best & Clean Memory Foam From The Foam Shop MalaysiaMemory foam is a kind of polyurethane foam known as viscoelastic. Though this material is not as affordable as spring… Read more: Best & Clean Memory Foam From The Foam Shop Malaysia
- Acoustic Decoration Ideas to Make TikTok Audio ClearA great recording quality while you are doing TikTok podcast is an important thing. If your audience couldn’t hear you… Read more: Acoustic Decoration Ideas to Make TikTok Audio Clear
- Top 5 Benefits of Large Acoustic Panel by The Foam ShopHave you ever wanted to do a bigger acoustic panel to upgrade sound quality? Or, you are drafting a design… Read more: Top 5 Benefits of Large Acoustic Panel by The Foam Shop
- How to DIY Soundproof Panel That Helps to Block Noises From Window?Make a Flexible Soundproof Panel At A Cheap Price Using Rockwool. One of most inquiries we received from house owners… Read more: How to DIY Soundproof Panel That Helps to Block Noises From Window?